October 2, 2013: I wanna resign

Times are hard for me. The Chicago Marathon is now less than two weeks away and I'm still encountering major health problems in my training.

Last Saturday, I stretched and warmed up as usual, and I went for a round along the Charles River. After only a couple of miles, I had a pain starting in my Achilles. I kept running because I wasn't sure if it was one of those pains that just go away. It was not. I completed 8.6 miles and the pain kept increasing.

I'm very confused because I stretch my calves / Achilles a lot, and I never have had problems with them. On the other hand, I've been increasing the mileage significantly in the past weeks so I guess it makes sense. The good news is, my extensor tendon feels better. Welp, seems like I successfully transferred my tendonitis from the extensor to the Achilles. Cool.

Pope resigns. I resign.
As a result, I went swimming this morning. It was mostly fine except for the 250-pound, 65-year-old retiree who decided to share the lane with me. Sweet dude. I don't understand why retired people would wanna go to the gym during peak hours, when the hardworking youth are simply trying to exercise in between working to pay for the old people's social security checks.

A week ago, I was very optimistic about actually completing this stupid marathon. As of today, I would say there is a 90% chance I resign during the race.

Back to the basics: Ben and Jerry's and my girlfriend's bed.

See you in a few days. Unless I kill myself.

2 comments:

  1. That sucks. If new shoes were worn, go back to the old ones.

    Sounds to me like your next run just may be in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I think I'll only do stretches until the marathon day, no more running for me!

    ReplyDelete